What Makes A Suitable Goat Housing
A suitable goat housing or shelter is very important for goat farming business. Because goats also need house like other domestic animals for staying at night, security, preventing them from adverse climate, such as rain, cold, sunlight etc. Some people used to keep their goats with other domestic animals such as cow, sheep etc. In other areas, people used to keep their goats under trees or in an area with fence and with shade. However, if you want to establish a profitable commercial goat farm, then you must have to build a suitable house or a facility for your goats. Before building house for goats, read the following tips very carefully.
1. Goat don’t want damp or wet environment. Try to select a dry and higher place for making the goat house. Make sure that the chosen goat housing area is high enough to keep the goats safe from floods.
2. Ensure that the floor of the house is always dry.
3. There should be adequate air and light inside the house.
4. The house should be built in such a way that is very suitable to control the temperature and moisture such as – areas can be covered or opened.
5. The house should not be damp. Damping may cause various diseases to goats as it is very suitable environment for bacterial growth.
6. Avoid the rain to enter inside the house.
7. Walls of the house must be covered using concrete (expensive) or by using bamboo poles (economical).
8. Goat house must be strong and comfortable.
9. A space is needed as well inside the house for taking rest.
10. There should be a facility that you can use to clean the house such as access to water and cleaning items.
11. Goats fear cold and water. Take extra care in rainy or cold season. Otherwise they may catch colds or pneumonia.
Types of Goat Houses
There are many ways on how to design your goat house. Specific goat housing design is suitable for goat production purposes.
Goat Housing Over Ground
Generally,this type of houses are made over the ground. This is the most common house for goats. You can make the floor of this type of goat house with brick and cement or simply with soil. You can surround the perimeter as well with fences. It will be better, if you can spread some dry straw over the floor in this housing system. But you must have to keep the house dry and clean always.
Goat Housing Over Pole
This type of houses are made over pole. The floor of the house heights about 1 to 1.5 meters (3.5 to 5 ft) from the ground. This type of house keeps the goat free from damping condition, flood water parasites, etc. The poles and floor in this housing system are usually made with bamboo or wood. This types of house is very suitable for goat farming, because it is very easy to clean. And you can easily clean the closet and urine of goat form the house. Diseases are also less in this housing system.
Actual Goat House of Farm Cradle, San Raymundo Balungao, Pangasinan (Ongoing Construction)
This types of goat houses are fully made with concrete, and slightly expensive. But concrete houses have many advantages. It is very easy to clean the house, and easy to always keep your goats safe from all types of predators. You can construct the house over ground or over concrete poles. Both types are easily maintained. Diseases are less in this housing system. But it is very expensive method of goat housing.
Required Space for Goats
In accordance with increasing the body size and weight of goats, they require more space. A house of 1.8 meter *1.8 meter* 2.5 meter (5.5 ft * 5.5 ft * 8.5 ft) is suitable enough for housing 10 small goats. Every adult goat needs about 0.75 meter * 4.5 meter * 4.8 meter housing space. Every goat needs 2.4 meter * 1.8 meter housing space. Try to consider if the goats that you want to take care of are big or small breeds. It is preferable, if you can keep the nursing and pregnant goats separately. You can extend or decrease the area of goat house according to the number of goat in your farm. But keep in mind that, every goat needs their required space for proper growing and better production.
Chart of Required Space for Goats According to Their Age and Nature
Goat Required Space (Square Meter)
Baby Goat 0.3
Adult Goat 1.5
Pregnant Goat 1.9
Billy Goat 2.8
While building house for your goats, always emphasis on the comfort of your goats. Ensure that, your goats are living happily inside their house, and the house is suitable enough to keep them free from adverse weather and all types of predators.