31 May What Does It Take To Be A Farmcradle Subfarm Owner?
More than a hundred Subfarms have already been founded since the Farm Enterprise DV Boer Farm was established in 2014. These farms which are scattered all over Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao, are owned by Filipinos with different walks of life, as well as political and religious beliefs. Though our Subfarm Owners form a varied set of people, one thing is common between all of them—they have a deep passion for agriculture and social transformation, and they are strong leaders who have been and are continuously being tested by the challenges that come with belonging to DV Boer’s Group of Subfarms. Farmcradle is DVBF’s Pilot Subfarm and has already accredited six Dairy Goat Subfarms under its name. Different from DVBF which focuses on Boer Goats and Cattle for meat production, the FC Group of Subfarms work together to build the foundations of Dairy Goat and Dairy Production in the Philippines.
What does it take to be a FC Dairy Goat Subfarm Owner?
First – Practical Considerations
How much will starting a farm cost? There are three initial costs that you will have to consider when starting a farm
- First is the cost of land, especially if you do not own one beforehand. The minimum size for farm accreditation is 3-hectares.
- Next is the Subfarm Accreditation fee. Becoming an accredited Farmcradle Dairy Goat Subfarm entails you to the technology, operational system, breeding techniques, infrastructure blueprints, trainings, animal husbandry methods, access to Dairy Goat Bucks (for reproduction) and Pa-iwi system, as well as continuous Top-Level support from the FC team.
- Finally, you have to consider the initial cost for business registration, building farm structures, acquiring animals and operational cost (salaries and utilities) of running your farm. Remember that the first stages of starting a farm, or any business, for that matter, entails a considerable investment. You will have to consider whether you can finance a farm using your savings or perhaps a bank loan would be necessary. You can also consider bringing in a partner or partners to help you finance your farm corporation.
Is the land I own idea for starting a Dairy Subfarm? The good news is, prior to the accreditation process, Farmcradle will provide professional consultation and assistance with regards to the acquisition and checking whether the land you own or will purchase is optimal for starting a Dairy Goat Subfarm. We have a real estate service which will help you locate and purchase land that is optimal for Dairy Goat Farming.
When and how will my Farm become profitable? Creating a Business Plan for your farm is crucial. This business plan, though not set in stone, will give you an overview of the future of your farm. When will you start building infrastructure, acquiring animals, and then reproducing them? How will you utilise the funds acquired from Pa-iwi Partners to pay for your farm operations and animal reproduction? When will you start earning from your farm operations? All these question will be enlightened by your Business Plan.
The Greater Ask
It can be argued that these three considerations are universal to starting any kind of business. However, when starting a farm, especially one at the caliber of becoming a Farmcradle Dairy Goat Subfarm, there is a greater ask:
- Full-time. There is no question that to start a FC Dairy Goat Subfarm will require you to go all-in. Handling a Farm Corporation is a full-time job, it’s like giving birth to a newborn and it will require your utmost care and attention. There is no illusion to running a farm, it is hard work and it is focused management.
- That said, becoming a Subfarm Owner requires patience, determination, a generous amount of GUTS TEETH to battle thru the challenges of a farm. Becoming a subfarm owner is not for the faint-hearted. You must be a strong leader especially because you will be handling a great number of people that come from different walks of life. You must be flexible and have great management skills. Once your farm grows in size, getting more people in management level will become a must.
- It is important that aside from having the desire to earn money from a business, you must also have a deep passion and love for Agriculture and our advocacy. Seasons will come when the challenges brought about in farming may seem insurmountable. It is this higher belief and trust that your sacrifices will be for the greater good of the country that will help see you thru the financial and emotional challenges of running a Farm Corporation. Nonetheless, our strong community of Subfarms also provides financial and directional support should your farm be hit with natural calamities or unavoidable problems.
Tangible and Intangible Rewards
At this point, becoming an FC Dairy Subfarm may sound like a frightening prospect. But we assure you that the rewards will be much greater than your sacrifices. There are many tangible and intangible rewards to running a Farm Corporation. For one thing, a business that operates on tangible products means you can see and experience your farm growing first hand. The number of animals will increase as well as the infrastructure you build and the people you employ. Aside from Integrated Farm production, providing employment to your community is one that gives a feeling of fulfillment and meaning to your agripreneurship. Being able to provide fare salaries and wages whilst operating a profitable farm is not something all farms can do. A grateful community will give back and support you as you grow. Working in Agriculture entails endless learning. There will never come a point when you’ve learned everything. There will always be something new to improve upon and do better. You will meet and learn from people from all walks of life. Farming in the Philippines is on the rise and many people be it urban and rural residents to OFWs from across the globe, professionals, fellow business owners, employees, will you surely meet. Lastly, the financial benefits are truly rewarding. In time, you’ll be raising thousands of animals, producing dairy milk, other integrated farming products and reaping the rewards! Are you ready? We’ll be here beside you every step of the way!